I Met a Blogger...and I didn't like it!!!!

Yesterday I met a blogger who is given cars to drive and review.

Like, come again?

How does this happen? I blogged for YEARS because it was "fun" but you know what would have made it more fun? If Ford sent ME cars to drive and review!!!!!!

Somehow, once again, I have missed the boat on how to make a shitton of money putting in the work I was already doing. This is the story of my life though...you've seen those people who ALWAYS take the hard road to get to their destination only to not make it to their destination but to fall short and have to stay in some weird motel that smells sort of like cigarette smoke and old socks, right? Pretty sure that's me.

I've done reviews for Amazon through Snagshout which has been awesome. For awhile something came out that Amazon would delete your reviews if you said you got the items for free or at a discount but lately I'm seeing those reviews pop up again- not sure what that's about but I do love to share a good products (and steer people away from not-so-good products).

In any case, I currently have four jobs but I do dream of writing again and what I didn't like most about the girl I met yesterday is that she's blogging successfully and killing it...and I'm not. I'm not angry or sad or bitter nor do I wish anything bad upon her but I'm sad that I gave up TKW back in the day. I know hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz but still...just moping for a moment.

Back to my four jobs...I had like four jobs my first year out of college and I really thought I would not be working four jobs at 44 but...here we are.

1. I make hair weaves. No kidding. I do. I make ponytails for cheerleaders so they don't have to tease, back-comb, and break their real hair to get a nice, even full ponytail. This hobby was born out of frustration, necessity and the thought that I might throat punch someone (#mambear) and it's been something I've LOVED doing. Not only do I love that I get to make these girls' hair look amazing for competition days but I love, love, love when one of my clients texts me to tell me that they just had a super easy morning getting ready for a competition. As I like to say in my house, "These ponytails save butts from being beaten by brushes during the stress of prep time on competition days." Here are Margo and Edith sporting two ponytails...full, beautiful ponytails, no broken hair from teasing- boom.
 2. I sell books to teachers, home-schooling mamas, kids, parents, anyone. We purchase books from schools in massive quantities which allows me to sell then SUPER cheap to others. As a former teacher I'm a huge believer in literacy. As a huge book nerd I think everyone should have access to books at all times. As a decorator I think everyone should incorporate books into their decor- stack coffee table books to add height to a display, put books on a shelf to add texture, rip pages out (of old books only, gasp!!!!) and decoupage them on pumpkins or roll them and make them into a cool wreath.

3. I work for a realtor friend of mine. To this point I've only helped her with mailings and organizing her office...more to come on this.

4, Gru found me a job doing grant writing. TBH I'm pretty sure he's hired me out on a pauper's wages but I haven't written a single grant yet so I'll keep you posted on that too.

In any case I would really like to get back to writing. Last week I hosted an impromptu book sale (because I couldn't get my car into my two car garage) and met a ton of awesome people. One of them kept asking me questions and the more questions she asked the more bizarre my life sounded. I mean I literally sounded like some roving nomad who never established roots or a solid lifestyle which I mean, I guess if the shoes fits, wear it, right? Anyway, it reminded me that I do have a lot of stories and I do run across crazy in my daily life so why not memorialize it? Why not get it down on blog? Why not write a bunch of stuff and have Honda send me cars to test drive and review? A girl can dream...but if a girl just dreams and doesn't write she doesn't get anywhere.

ACCC, who is currently hanging out at the Honda dealership, as it turns out...mostly for having my car serviced but I suppose I could go get into a car on the showroom floor and refuse to get out until we strike a blogging review deal...

Comments